Friday, July 15, 2005

Stardate 59535.53: Movie/Play Reviews

Have seen a bunch of stuff recently:

  • Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Two Thumps up. Hysterical movie that both Cheryl and I really enjoyed.
  • The Replacement Killers. Thumb up. Cheryl was away when I rented this, but I enjoyed it. Mira Sorvino is hot, hot, hot.
  • War of the Worlds. Two thumbs down. Stupid ending that came about way too quickly, horrible lack of motivation for the characters (particularly the idiot son), and a really stupid Hollywood move at the end that removed all credibility the movie may have tried to squeak by with. Awful, awful, awful. Yes, the special effects were good, but they are good in everything now.
  • The Outlaw Josey Wales [1976]. Thumb up. Cheryl missed seeing this one. A retired USMC Colonel recommended this one to me, so I added it to our Netflix list. Couldn’t believe I had never seen it. One critic said “best movie of 1976”. It was quite good.
  • Kidnapping Caucasian Style (Shurik's New Adventures) [1971]. Russian movie with English subtitles. That way Cheryl and I can both enjoy it. Two thumbs up. Very silly, but funny.
  • Avenue Q. Saw this on Broadway. Thumbs up all around…me and my Mom and 2 relatives. I now have to go back and take Cheryl. I also MUST find the soundtrack now.
  • Catch Me If You Can. Two thumbs up. Liked it more than I thought I would.
  • The Beach. Liked the book somewhat, did not like the movie. If you did not read the book, you will not get the movie. Two thumbs down, or maybe sideways since we had read the book.
  • The Day After Tomorrow. Two thumbs up. Another one I did not expect to like as much as I did. Living in NYC makes this one even more interesting.

No comments: