Friday, February 29, 2008

Stardate 62162.17 - Happy Leap Day

It is leap day today, that day that comes around every 4 years as we attempt to force a highly structured, precise calendar system on top of an imperfect universe. Happy Leap Day, everyone!

In other news, I recently figured out that I've been tying my shoes incorrectly for 38 years. I always wondered why my shoelaces came undone quite frequently, and thanks to sailing I finally figured it out. Essentially, I've been tying a slip knot in my shoes, rather than a reef knot. A slip knot comes undone easily, but the reef knot will hold. I know it is a simple thing, but when you tie your shoes from habit and don't even think about it, you can lose perspective over time. Perhaps that is a general lesson for life - sometimes it is good to take a step back and think about why you are doing something. Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't mean it isn't incredibly stupid.

Just a little life lesson from me to you on this special day!

NYC

No comments: