Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Stardate 61886.93 - The Enemy Below

I've been so stressed out with the move and everything going on, and selling the old TV before the new one arrives hasn't helped either. My normal stress-reduction methodology involves watching a show for that temporary escape (better than turning to alcohol, right?), but without the TV I'm somewhat limited. So I tried out a feature of Netflix late this afternoon called "Watch Instantly". Essentially, you can download a movie immediately and watch it on your PC. Since I have a laptop with a wide-screen, I clicked on the link to see which of my 404 movies in my queue were available as instantly watchable.

Turns out, not too many. About 15 or so were on the list, and the movie I selected was The Enemy Below. The original Star Trek (1966) episode Balance of Terror was based almost entirely on this film, and there was also a Star Trek:Deep Space Nine (ST:DS9) episode I enjoyed where the writers were likewise inspired by this movie. The plot, as summarized by Internet Movie Database, is "During World War II, an American destroyer meets a German U-Boat. Both captains are good ones, and the engagement lasts for a considerable time."

I give the movie a thumb up. For 1957, the special effects were pretty good, and the story was very well done. If you have an hour and a half to spare and you want to watch a "classic" that has inspired others for the past 50 years, then I highly recommend this movie.

NYC

No comments: