Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Stardate 61601.09 - Flooding Cripples NYC Subway

I should have suspected there was an issue when the sidewalks were more crowded this morning as I took Loren to day care. I remember thinking, "Is this Amateur Hour?" as people seemed to mill randomly around with no clue where they were going or what they were doing. The buses also seemed a lot more crowded for a morning when the rain had already ended. Granted, there was a big storm early this morning, but the sun was about to break through. Why were people cramming onto the buses and randomly wandering around?

Because most of the subway system was shut down. (Along, apparently, with the MTA's web site).

And on a day when Cheryl has a class all the way downtown. Last I heard from her it was 10 minutes into the start time of the class and she was on a bus at least 30 minutes from the facility.

And on a day when (thanks to the rain) the humidity is up above 75% and the temperature is already above 80 and climbing.

I had to change shirts once I got back home as I was drenched. The cats are on the wood floor, stretched out to maximize fur contact with a cool surface.

Hope the power company can keep up with demand today.

The picture is of Coney Island Stillwell Avenue terminal of the New York Subway, Coney Island, New York and was taken by Kris Arnold. This file is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.0 License (cc-by-sa-2.0). In short: you are free to share and make derivative works of the file under the conditions that you appropriately attribute it, and that you distribute it under this or a similar cc-by-sa license.

NYC

2 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

Pictures of the event are available here.

Anonymous said...

I was on the bus for 1 1/2 hours and got to my class at 10:10, 2 hours after I left home. But I can't complain - I had a seat most of the way and it was air-conditioned. One person didn't make it to the class until 2pm.