Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Stardate 61619.95 - Hope There Isn't a Fire

Unless something truly horrible happens, this will be my last post about the hotel I am staying in during my trip to Montgomery, because I am sure people are tired of hearing about it.

I was looking at the back of the hotel room door yesterday, and something just didn't look correct. The evacuation sign seemed a bit off. You know the sign I am taking about, the metal or plastic plate on the back of hotel room doors showing which room you are in and the location of the emergency exits. The sign indicated that I was just a few doors away from a stairwell, if I turned left upon exiting my room. I opened my door and looked left...down a long hallway that lead to the elevators and eventually to a stairwell at the far, far end.

I looked right. A couple of doors down was the end of the hall and the stairs leading out of the building. The sign was wrong - it was the mirror image of what the hotel actually looked like. If there were a fire or smoke and I had tried to use the sign to figure out which direction I should exit in it would actually have steered me away from the exit!

The people are nice, as I mentioned before
, but I still think this hotel gets the "no fly zone" treatment in the future.

Montgomery, Alabama


The picture is of a fire exit sign resembling those accordant with the EU directive 92/58/EEC, without the text "fire exit". Drawn by Mysid in CorelDraw. The creator of this work granted permission to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. Subject to disclaimers.

No comments: