Friday, October 26, 2007

Stardate 61817.38 - Digital Ethnography

Jessica Stover posted this video on her blog. As a parent of a very young child, I often wonder how different things will be for her in college than they were for me. As an example, when I was in school only Engineers and Computer Scientists had computers - the Apple Macintosh 2 for CS majors, and the IBM PS/2 (XT) for Engineers. I didn't have an e-mail account until my senior year, and that was on a mainframe and required special formatting to get out onto the Internet. I had a 1200 baud modem to visit bulletin boards and to get hints for games. Professors handed out everything hardcopy, and used blackboards or overhead projectors. No-one had a cell phone. Things have changed so much in just 15 years. How much more will they change in another 15?



NYC

No comments: