Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Stardate 61985.05 - Borat

Cheryl and I stayed up way too late and watched Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan last night. It was pretty damn funny. There were a few scenes where I was cringing (one in particular), but in a good way. This is one where the DVD extras have the potential to be as funny as the movie. We recorded it off of Cinemax HD, but may still get the DVD through NetFlix just to watch the extras.

In a nutshell, this is a spoof documentary where Borat (of Kazakhstan) visits the US to learn how we do things, and as part of that experience they set up meetings with real, actual people and groups who are not in on the joke. Hilarity ensues.

Two thumbs up.

NYC

2 comments:

JamesF said...

I'm not sure the extras are that worth it. I think there were about six extra clips on the DVD if I remember correctly. There were a couple that actually made some other stuff make sense, but the six minute extra clip asking about cheese got old really fast.

Trailing Male said...

Emily and gave it, in your review terms, two thumbs sideways, at best, and I *couldn't* watch the entire thing. I get irritated with the "humor" in most sitcoms and comedies, so I did way more than cringe once or twice. Emily managed to watch the entire thing and found it funny in parts. Maybe one day I'll go back and try to watch the whole thing... perhaps with generous beer chasers.