Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stardate 62154.10 - Getting Old

Genetics are finally catching up with me. I had my annual check-up a couple of weeks ago (which I seem to get around to every 2 years) and my Cholesterol has shot up 40 points since 2006, mostly the bad kind. So my doctor has me on a low cholesterol diet to see if we can bring it down from 230 back below 200 over the next three months.

I also realized that I have not had a gym membership in about a year and a half, so Cheryl and I checked out a new gym only a couple of blocks away and will be joining it later this week (once our free sample week ends). I'm not terribly out of shape (161 pounds, 5'10", 34" waist) but I need tone. Walking as much as we do living here in NYC helps keep me fairly stable on weight, as long as I don't go overboard on calories. Where I run into problems is when I'm on travel for work - too much fish and chips and burgers and beer!

Hopefully the exercise (I went yesterday morning and this morning), coupled with the low-cholesterol diet Cheryl is now cooking will get it back under control. Both my parents are on cholesterol medication, so I may just be doomed. I plan to stick to the diet, however, so we'll see if that helps.

Getting old sucks.

NYC

No comments: