Friday, September 01, 2006

Stardate 60668.25 - Nice Sail on Thursday

I took advantage of the long hours I worked on that proposal in Eatontown by taking most of Thursday off and going on a nice, long sail as part of the Manhattan Sailing Club's Fleet Captain program.

With the Fleet Captain program people who are "skipper-certified" with the club (meaning they can take a boat out with a crew) sign up for a time slot and specify how many crew he or she wants. Then the members who are "crew-certified" (like me) can sign up for those slots. Since my regular sailing partner's schedule didn't mesh with mine this week, I signed up for a slot with a skipper and crew I didn't know (always a risk as you don't know the personalities you will get).

Luckily, we had a great skipper and he and the crew were very personable and we all had a great time - we even went to lunch together as a group once we got back to shore. We left North Cove around 1000 and the tides and wind were with us so we managed to get down to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and were back at North Cove by 1330. That was my first time getting all the way down to the bridge and back - so that was pretty cool.

One of the crew had a camera and took some pictures, so hopfully she will e-mail those to me soon and I can post them up here. I think there is at least one of me - that should keep you coming back in anticipation! :-)

NYC

2 comments:

JC said...

So when can Andy and I go out on a boat with you? :) I wonder how long the boating season is in NYC.

Curt Sawyer said...

As far as the club is concerned, I cannot take people out since I’m not skipper certified. I'd have to work a deal with a skipper to take me plus two passengers. I’ll probably try for skipper certification next season. But in terms of renting a small boat, with the ASA certification I can do that now.

The club's season ends on 22 October. That is when the boats are hauled out for the winter.