Sunday, October 21, 2007

Stardate 61803.69 - SherryBaby

Somehow we were caught up on television shows by Saturday, so we took one of our NetFlix movies that has been sitting in the coffee table drawer for at least 2 months and watched it. I wasn't really in the mood for a downer, but our choices were a musical (not really in the mood for that either), or a movie we already watched and had forgotten to mail back to NetFlix.

SherryBaby was a good movie, although I felt it was a little slow in parts. However, I was a bit distracted during the movie as I was trying to put a post up and Blogger's image upload ability was malfunctioning. The lead character, "Sherry Swanson returns home to New Jersey after serving a three year prison sentence, eager to reestablish a relationship with her young daughter" is the IMDB plot summary. You can tell pretty early on that it isn't going to end well, but it was less depressing than I thought it was going to be. Sherry is a very sympathetic character, which was an impressive bit of movie-making because I tend to personally have a very, very negative view of drug-users (lets just either legalize it and tax the crap out of it, or come down like a hammer with no mercy but not continue the current half-assed war on drugs strategy). But this isn't a political rant, so I'll move on...

"I give it a thumbs up if you want to get depressed," was Cheryl's review. I also give it a thumbs up, with the warning that it is not a "feel-good" movie. It is not one for the kids to watch, due to strong sexual content (including incest), drug use, and profanity.


NYC

No comments: