Friday, November 23, 2007

Stardate 61895.58 - Midway

Took a break from clearing out closets and watched Midway (1976) recently. "The glory, the suspense, the spectacular drama of the men who won the most decisive naval battle in U.S. history," according to IMDB. I thought the acting was better than The Enemy Below, but the special effects were not as good. You could tell they were using a bunch of footage from actual combat, but planes didn't match and the ships looked different and apparently they recycled a lot of footage from another movie out about 6 years earlier (but I haven't seen it so I didn't notice). The video quality changed from shot to shot as a result of this, and it was a bit distracting. Not being a WWII buff, I know very little about battles like Midway so I was fascinated by the history and how a bit of luck (or lack thereof) can really turn the tide.

A thumb up. The history lesson alone makes this one worthwhile.

NYC

No comments: