Thursday, January 11, 2007

Stardate 61029.86 - The things you hear...

Today I had to run out to the UPS store to purchase a mailing envelope and postage to send a certificate to one of my staff for an award I gave him. While I was addressing the envelope I heard two people come into the store, but I didn't look up. I next heard this exchange (approximate):

Woman - "So she is saying that you pushed her..."

Man - "But I didn't touch her!"

Woman - "But she has a witness who saw you push her."

At this point I think it is a guy and his attorney, probably discussing a divorse proceeding. Then the conversation continues:

Man - "You didn't give me the chance to get my witnesses!"

Woman - "Well, the traffic cop is saying you pushed her, so I'm going to have to place you under arrest."

At this point, I looked up to see a 5' female cop and a 6' angry man by the door to the store. He apparently had been dialing someone during the conversation, because he then says into the phone,

"Sergent! She is telling me she has to arrest me!" Pause. To woman, "He wants to talk to you."

At this point they left the store and the UPS clerk told me that she thought a meter maid was trying to ticket him and he apparently thought he still had time on the meter but she didn't see any pushing. By the time I concluded my business he was rummaging around in his car, but the cops were still parked there, blocking him in.

So I'll never know how it turned out.

NYC

No comments: