Sunday, January 28, 2007

Stardate 61076.99 - Friday Night Lights

Cheryl and I watched Friday Night Lights Saturday night (the movie, not to be confused with the television series of the same name). Two thumbs sideways.

First, it was a sports movie, and I'm not a big fan of the sense of entitlement high school and college athletes have. (I actually had a high school basketball player friend of mine say during his freshman year of college, "I didn't do well in a class but its ok 'cause coach will fix the grade." That doesn't sit well with me (and believe me, I could have used some grade fixing in college!). Second, they didn't do a good job (Cheryl put her finger on this) in linking the off-field and on-field characters. I'm not sure if it was the use of first names vs. last names for life vs. the field, but it just became tough to keep track of everyone. Third, it was apparent to us that there was about another hour of movie that ended up on the cutting room floor. Case in point, the coach's daughter shows up in a scence about 30 minute before the end of the 2 hour movie. Cheryl and I looked at each other and said, "He has a kid?" No previous mention of children, even though there were a few (very few) scenes with the wife at home.

It just seemed like it got jumbled up somewhat when they put it all together after shooting it. So two thumbs sideways.

Oh, and I'd put a picture up but blogger isn't accepting any pictures right now due to a "bX-45y3w1" error. No longer in beta my ass.

NYC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interested in watching this movie for two reasons:
1) Did you notice if the soundtrack for a football movie was light and kind of airy? Blame Explosions in the Sky (although I really do like them).
2) The TV show is getting great reviews, if no ratings. I think all of the episodes are up on Yahoo!, but I don't have time to catch up.

Anonymous said...

Are you now a once a week poster?