Saturday, May 06, 2006

Stardate 60344.35 - CPR Certified on a Gorgeous Day

Is is a gorgeous day in NYC today.

I walked the 56 block round-trip journey today to day care for the CPR class, and after 2.5 hours of lecture, dummy practice, and an exam, I am proud to report that I am now CPR certified for the next two years, and first aid certified for the next 3.

The course was pretty interesting in what has changed since I took CPR in gym class (more than 20 years ago) back in High School. The number of breaths, for example, used to be 4 but now it is 1 breath every 5 seconds. And the chest compressions have changed, too. It used to be 5 slow but now it is 5 as fast as possible.

They teach you ABC - Assess vitals, breathing, compressions. I did learn some new things, I got a 100% on my exam, and now I'm ready in case Loren chokes on anything. I'd say it was worth the $40. (Just so you know, the CPR picture is from the article I linked above. The other two pictures were taken with my cell phone.)

After I got back I took Loren off of Cheryl's hands (Cheryl is still sick) and I went for a walk in Central Park with her. The park was packed full of people, as we hit 75 here in NYC on a beautiful sunny day.

One of my favorite spots is the conservatory pond, and people were out with their remote controlled sailboats today. In fact, the park was a little too packed with people - I actually had trouble getting out at 66th street as there was a performer attracting a large crowd right in the middle of a 4-way intersection just before the exit. That was a little grating.

And people, when a baby stroller is coming through...move! I can't slip between people with a stroller the way you can when you are unencumbered.

NYC

2 comments:

JamesF said...

You mentioned taking the class for when Loren starts solid food. You could probably start her now and use this. It works really well and if there are teething issues freezing fruit before putting it in can really help also.

Curt Sawyer said...

Loren is on baby food at night now, but not solid food yet. I have seen that device, and Cheryl has talked about getting it. We just haven't gotten around to it yet.