Monday, May 22, 2006

Stardate 60388.61 - Out with the old bed...


So Cheryl and I finally took the plunge and ordered a King-sized bed to replace the Queen-sized bed we purchased right after we got married. While Cheryl was pregnant the Queen was a little too small, and as Loren sometimes ends up in bed with us in the middle of the night the Queen is still a little too small. I also don't like anything touching me while I am sleeping, so a King fits me just fine. And a King bed just means more storage underneath, and more room for the cats to build fortresses and play underneath.

And finally, our current bed and mattress are now 10 years old (that's right, we are getting very close to our 10-year anniversary), so it's time for an upgrade. And by the time we purchase new sheets, a waterproof pad (for Loren you fools, I quit wetting the bed a long time ago), pillows, etc. the new bed is costing 10 times what the old one cost.

Small digression...if you are staining your first piece of furniture, don't put it together and then stain it. Funny thing...you'll stain the bolts and screws to the wood and they will make a nice seal that is nearly impossible to break. I think when we moved from Virginia the moving company left most of the frame intact because they stripped the hex bolts trying to take it apart. It took me four screwdrivers, one hex wrench, a pair of pliers, and an hour to get the thing completely apart. It was, in our defense, the first piece of furniture either of us had ever stained. We got much better with practice.

Anyway, the new bed should be here Tuesday afternoon. I cannot wait until it is all together.

NYC Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

Cheryl pointed out that it is more like 4 times the cost, not 10 times. I forgot to add in the cost of the first mattress.

I think I minored in math. Maybe if I'd majored in it I'd be able to do multiplication.

;-)

JamesF said...

But did you adjust for inflation? And what (if any) difference is there in the quality of the bed from last time to this time?

At our house we're still living like college students and just have the mattress, springs and a frame.

Curt Sawyer said...

I didn't adjust for inflation. But the bed is really cool, and much higher quality than the old bed. The old bed was from IKEA and was soft wood, and the new bed is metal. The mattress is also higher quality. The old stuff was fine for the first 10 years, but we needed something new to get us to 25!

BullBunky said...

Ooooooo, LOVE the new bed. Looks great. I was TOTALLY against getting a king size matress ("who needs that much space") and now I just love it.

Anonymous said...

I love that you don't like anything touching you while you sleep. Cracks me up.