Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Stardate 60372.36 - Mo' Memory

If someone does a good job, I'll pimp for them. Today's spotlight is on Memory Suppliers. I mentioned a few days ago that the home PC was running out of memory. I don't know if XP Professional and all the patches and anti-virus and anti-spyware applications finally just blew past the 500MB mark or what, but the home PC was running out of memory. So after a little research I found Memory Suppliers and ordered another 500MB of memory on Thursday.

It arrived Monday.

I was shocked. I chose the cheapest shipping possible, and they still had it to me in 2 business days. That was remarkable.

Even more remarkable, I got the memory installed into the Dell (thanks, Dell, for making a case that is easy to open and memory slots that are easy to find and easy to access). I was done in less than 15 minutes. I booted the Dell, it said "Additional Memory Detected" as it booted up, and a quick check of the system showed 1GB of main memory.

I'm pleased to report that the PC no longer is running out of memory. I ran a memory display as I logged in as Cheryl and after the login was complete it showed 450MB of memory remaining, so it looks like I needed 550MB just for the OS and start-up applications. Amazing. My next PC will have 2GB minimum. Check back with me in a year.

So props to Memory Suppliers. I got exactly what I asked for, earlier than expected, and everything was in working order. Props to Dell for making it easy to install additional memory, even if you bet on RAMBUS three years ago and it looks like that memory type is going the way of the Dodo.

NYC

No comments: