Thursday, June 29, 2006

Stardate 60492.87 - Sailing Graduation


As I posted previously, I recently became ASA certified through the Manhattan Sailing School (specifically, Basic Keelboat Sailing 101). The Manhattan Sailing Club has a club house out in the water near Ellis Island, and they hold races there on Wednesday and Thursday nights. On Wednesday nights they invite recent graduates of the school to attend as a "graduation party". Cheryl and I decided to go last night, even though the weather was supposed to be iffy, and we had a great time!

It was Loren's first boat ride, and here we are on Lil' Toot (the launch) heading over to the club. It was low tide, so the water was actually pretty choppy. One little girl (not in the picture) covered her eyes the whole way.


Once we were over there, we had a spectacular view of the Statue of Liberty.


Here is Cheryl with Loren and the skyline of Manhattan behind her.


Of course we were there during Loren's dinner time, so we had to feed her.


Here are the boats, ready to race. The club/school own a bunch of J/24 sailboats, which is what I learned on. Once I join the club I'll be able to go out as a crewman anytime I can find a skipper who needs crew.


The view back to Manhattan really was quite stunning, even with the haze.


The sailboats are running downwind with their spinnakers deployed.


Passing by the clubhouse with the sun sinking in the West.


A nice group of people (one was a club member, but two had been through the school) took our picture by the rail before we boarded Lil' Toot for the return trip to North Cove.


NYC

2 comments:

BullBunky said...

"Lil' Toot" made me chuckle :) But congrats...looks like a lot of fun.

[Alright it has taken me THREE work verifications to enter this. Make that SEVEN.]

Anonymous said...

It just occurred to me that this was not L's first boat ride -- the Governor's Island ferry was. But this was her first exciting boat ride : ))