Thursday, September 14, 2006

Stardate 60704.20 - My Own Soundtrack

I went sailing Wednesday afternoon. The season is drawing close to the end (Oct 22) and I am trying to get in a lot of hours before it is all over (I’m at 24 hours sailing so far). All my day-time skippers are either back at work or now at work so I’m down to only one skipper who I know is free during the day sometimes. I may have to start doing evening sails, which I don’t like to do, because it means that Cheryl has to handle Loren all by herself at home for a couple of hours before I can get back. At least on D&D nights she can interrupt me to help out if Loren does something silly like pees in the bathtub (a first for her this past Wednesday night!).

I took the iPod Nano with me when I went down to North Cove because it is a 40-50 minute subway ride and listening to music helps pass the time. While waiting for the F (I just missed one) for about 10 minutes there was a guitar player 10 feet away, but he was pretty quiet and I only heard him in-between songs on the iPod. But within 2-3 stops of getting on the F, a mariachi-esque band got onto my car and began to play. The accordion player was about 4 inches from my ear, and they completely drowned out the iPod. When I made the transfered over to the E, I was both glad to be leaving them and already planning to re-listen to that album on my way back.

Sailing was cold, windy, and a little rainy but I still say that a bad day on the water is better than a good day at work. I guess if you have no wind then the saying may not hold true. One of the people on the boat who I had sailed with before tried to tell me how to get to the 4-5 but it was really croweded at the WTC site and I couldn’t follow her directions so ended up just taking the E to the F and going back home the same way I had come down.

Within 2-3 stops of getting onto the F a man with a guitar got on board and stood 1-foot away from me and began playing loudly. Very loudly. So loud that once again I couldn’t hear my iPod.

I’m not sure if there is really a point to all of this, other than I seemed to have my own soundtrack following me around all day yesterday!

NYC

2 comments:

Dave said...

Heh. That kind of gets me thinking to the bit in There's Something About Mary. Or perhaps the bard chronicling the knightly exploits in Monty Python's Holy Grail.

Buddy Tignor said...

Sailing must have seemed extra serene after all the loud music.