Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Stardate 60547.59 - Traffic, Traffic, Traffic

I had to go to our Eatontown office yesterday and today to work on a proposal. It only took me about 1 hour 15 minutes to get out to that office on Tuesday, and it only took about 1 hour 5 minutes to get here today. The return trip yesterday, however, was brutal. I departed Eatontown at 4:15 PM and did not arrive back at my apartment until 7:15. Three hours. For the math-challenged, that was one hour 45 minutes longer than the trip out.

There was an accident on the Gardenstate that slowed me down for a brief time, but the tollbooth on the Turnpike where the spur breaks off to go to the Lincoln Tunnel was out of control! Not going to the tunnel, but continuing North. It was backed up from the toll booth for miles and miles.

Then I ran into the "normal" Lincoln Tunnel back-up, but it was far from normal. At one point, I sat completely still for 20 minutes. I listened to an entire hour of NPR while waiting to get through the tunnel. It was awful.

But I did get home in time to take over with Loren while Cheryl went out for a girl's night out with one of her mommy groups. Loren was a little grumpy after she left (the teething thing is bothering her a bit, and she really doesn't like Mommy to leave her), but I managed to get her to go to sleep in my arms and then I transferred her to the crib around 8:45. That gave me time to watch Sunday's episode of Deadwood and then get some e-mail answered before Cheryl got back a little after 10PM.

Eatontown, NJ

2 comments:

BullBunky said...

Does this commute include the time to get to your car?

Curt Sawyer said...

I did not count the 10 minutes it takes to walk to the garage in the outbound total, but I think I had it factored in for the inbound total. If you want specifics.

Left NJ today (Wednesday) at 3:30 PM and was home by 4:45PM. Or at least by 5 PM, including the walk.