Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Stardate 60548.63 - Interesting Decision

While coming back from NJ yesterday evening, I pulled into the garage where we keep the car and a large SUV was blocking the way in. The attendant ran over to me, and I asked him if I could fit between the car and the wall. He said something like, "No, baby hurt, back up!" So I backed up onto the street (it is actually not a very busy street) with his assistance.

The other car pulled out shortly and I pulled in. The attendant told me that the baby had fallen and hurt itself and was bleeding from the head and that he "had to move 10 cars to get their car out" for them.

Pause. Rewind.

So the baby fell either at home or in the garage and rather than:

  1. Calling 911 for an ambulance
  2. Stepping outside and hailing a taxi
the parents decided to go with the much slower option of waiting for their car to be retrieved from the garage so they could drive the child to the hospital themselves. This is especially stupid if the child was injured at home and they actually called down to the garage to get the car brought out - that means that they wasted at a minimum 10 minutes to get to the garage and wait for 10 cars to be moved so theirs could be brought down (the garage recommends calling 30 minutes before you need your car just for this very reason).

If it was truly bad, options #1 and #2 would seem to be much faster.

I just don't understand.

NYC

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Manhattanites removed from reality? I don't believe it!!