Monday, July 31, 2006

Stardate 60580.59 - Family Reunion

We are currently on vacation...

On Sunday we had a family reunion in Verona. The attendance was very light (most people came Saturday and spent the night - only 5 people drove in on Sunday).

We spent most of the time on the screened-in porch*, and Loren got to see her cousin Zach (and he was very happy to see her).

We also spent a little time down at the river, but the heat and humidity was pretty bad even in the shade. Loren and Cheryl played on a blanket while Zach swam (walked) in the river (it was pretty low).

There is nothing like kicking back and gazing up at the trees and not thinking about work.


Today is my Mom's last day at work. She is officially retired as of tomorrow. We are all going to the party Tuesday night.

Once again, blogger will not upload pictures. I am going to try and perhaps download picasa or something else to force the upload, because I am really losing my patience with blogger. Is anyone else finding it more and more difficult to get pictures uploaded, or is it just me?

*Cheryl said that "screened-in porch" makes no sense because there wouldn't be a "screened-out" porch. Since she is a Yankee, I have to ask my audience, is it a US southern thing to say "Screened-In Porch" instead of "Screened Porch" or is it just me and my family that say "Screened-In Porch"?


Verona, VA

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you can go either way, though to be honest I haven't thought about it in awhile because Oregon doesn't have alot of mosquitos so screens aren't necessary.

My favorite are the Floridian screened-in entire yards.

Dude, sign up with dreamhost (but be sure you get email me for my username so I get referral dollars), get your own url, and move on with Wordpress or someone else. Wordpress even allows you to import the old stuff!

JC said...

I say "screened-in porch" but then I also say "it's fixing to rain"...ha ha. So you can't rely on me for proper terminology - only Southern terminology. :)

JamesF said...

I used the term screened on porch, but I would argue I'm from the same basic area of upbringing as Curt, so I'm not contributing anything new to the conversation. Although I have heard it can only be a screened in porch if there's a door into the house inside the enclosed area. Otherwise it's referred to as something else.

And I haven't had any issues uploading pictures recently.

Unknown said...

For some reason I want to mention squealing like a pig.

Anonymous said...

Being a fellow southern girl - screened in porch is perfectly acceptable.

Anonymous said...

I'd say screened-in porch too...Maryland is still south of the Mason Dixon line so maybe that's the boundary...enjoy your vacation :)

Anonymous said...

Screened-in is correct, sir.

Anonymous said...

I never said it was wrong, I just said it was kind of funny if you think about it. It's a quirk of the English (American?) language, not of the South. They say screened-in porch in NJ too : ))

BullBunky said...

I feel like an odd-ball. I have always said "sceened porch". (Bye the way...what the heck kind of word is 'screen' anyway.)

JamesF said...

Ah, the old English language quirk.

Like driving on parkways and parking on driveways.